- The forging division of AST continues the century-long tradition of forging in Terni started in 1884 when the company “Societa degli Alti Forni, Fonderie e Acciaierie di Terni” (SAFFAT) was founded
- The choice of carbon and alloy elements utilized in the production of Back-up Rolls and Hot working Rolls for flat and shapred products aims to achieve the required mix of different properties, such as hardenability, hardness, toughness, fatigue and thermal cracking resistance
- All machining steps are performed by using modern Numericla Control Lathes. Rolls are shipped by forging division of Acciai Speciali Terni machine finished and ready for service
- Sdf quality system was one of the first Italian QA systems to be accepted by ASME for the manufacture of forged products for nuclear application
- AFS has two main product lines, Static cast and Spin cast
- In January 2014, Advanced Foundry Services SAS took over from Åkers Group which had been running it since 1998.
- The company specializes in the manufacture of rolling mill rolls with technical expertise and a quality standards recognized by it’s customer base.
- AFS is in control of the complete manufacturing process: Melting, Molding, Casting, Shot blasting, Heat treatment and Machining.
5 induction furnaces : 1 x 4.5 tons, 1 x 5 tons, 2 x 23 tons and 1 x 33 tons.
- 1 vertical spin casting machine (fully automated) Maximum speed : 600 rotations per minute Finish products dimensions : diameter from 575 to 1 250 mm Maximum length of the roll barrel : 4 meters
- 10 heat treatment furnaces (all computer-controlled)
- 1 sand mixer of 25 tons per hour capacity
- 1 blasting machine
- Rolls dimensions : Maximum length : 7,500 mm. Barrel diameter : 575 to 1,250 mm. Weight range : between 5 and 30 tons.
- Grade type: Indefinite chilled. Steel and graphitic steel. High Chromium cast iron. HSS and ½ HSS. High Chromium ste
- Trumpets -used when manufacturing bottom pouring steel ingots.
- Slag Pots – manufactured in lamellar or nodular cast iron.
- Ingot moulds and base plates -produce high quality steel ingot moulds thanks to more than 20 years of experience
- Dryer rolls – hollow rolls are used in many industries such as : Paper industry, Food industry, Rubber industry and Plastic industry
- Shells – cast iron moulds used for roll production
- Staves coolers – utilized on blast furnace cooling system
Strict quality control checks are adhered to throughout entire process: •
- Molding: Sand characteristics, raw materials and mould lining controls.
- Melting: Temperature, weight, chemical analysis and thermal analysis.
- Casting: Spin casting machine speed, temperatures, weight and filling rate
- Heat treatment : Temperatures, hardness and structure controls.
- Internal quality : Bonding, thickness and core health controls.
- Metal structure : Barrel, core and bonding quality controls.
- Hardness : Core and barrel hardness controls.
- Geometric control: drawing review
SdF is a fully integrated Division, equipped with the ‘state of the art’ technologies in:
- Steelmaking/Ingot Pouring
- Heating for forging
- Heat Treatment
- Final Machining
- Destructive and Non-Destructive testing
- Arcelor Mittal
- Voest Alpine
- AK Steel
- Nucor Steel
- Steel Dynamics
- Thyssen Krupp.
- Essar Steel.
- JSW Steel Ltd.
- Bhushan Steel Ltd.
- CSN (Brazil)
- Ispat Inland (USA)
- Voest Alpine
- Working Roll for Non-Ferrous material
- Back-Up Rolls for Ferrous Non-Ferrous material
Shells & Special Components
- Shells and tube sheets for Nuclear and Petrochemical Reactor Vessels
- Containers for Spent Fuel of NPPs
- Closer Heads of Reactor Pressure Vessels
Heavy Industry & Die Blocks
- Offshore installations
- Open-Die, Closed-Die and Extrusion presses
- Die-Block for automotive industry